Who we are
The Southwest Human Rights Defenders Network (SWHRDN) established on February 15, 2015 in Baidoa, with the Civil Society Organizations from Bay, Bakool and Lower Shabelle regions, SWHRDN is an independent, non-profit-making organization. The founding members of the organization are Somalis from all walks of life-academics, professionals and human rights defenders who are committed to the cause ofHuman Rights, the Rule of Law and Democracy.
SWHRDN’s vision is that people everywhere enjoy a peaceful democratic system, where citizens are autonomous, human rights are respected, the rule of law prevails and democracies areimplemented
SWHRDN’s mission is to promote and protect the rights of people in Southwest regions and to cry out and stand against inequality, injustice and misuse of power.
The objectives of SWHRDN’s are:
- To protect and promote the rights of the vulnerable people
- To strive for the establishment of a democratic system
- To build the capacities of the human rights defenders in these areas
- To promote the rule of the law and access to justice•To encourage and monitor the respect for human rights
- To promote peace building and conflict resolution
- To empower women’s rights